Saturday, August 27, 2011

TV

As I had mentioned earlier, we've been having issues with our front TV not being able to get cable, or the over the air antenna.  We had worked on this quite a bit, even enlisting Jason's help and not getting anywhere.  I was under the impression that the only feed to the front TV was either through the HDMI or the component cables.  We had to pull the Off Air tuner out since it didn't solve the problem and decided once and for all we would get to the back of the the TV one way or another.  We were able to pull the backing off the TV a bit so we could just look at the hookups, and lo and behold there is a coax cable plugged into the TV!  Well, figuring out where it came from was another matter.  There is a small, emphasis small, access hole behind the TV in the cabinet, but we couldn't find the coax in the maze of thousands of wires, so we decided to rip the entire electronics cabinet apart to see if we could discern anything that way.  We found two splitters, and 4 different coaxes going where?  I decided since all the connections seemed good I would pull the coax off the TV and using continuity I would determine which if any cables fed the TV, but first I wanted to ascertain which went to the rear TV.  We hooked up to cable at our site, and of course, no signal to the front TV, no surprise.  Thankfully, I decided to make sure the back TV worked before I started this process, but nothing on the rear TV either!  Turned out the receptacle at the site didn't work.  We wondered if that had caused any of our problems in the past?  Hooked up to another site and voila the rear TV worked.  I disconnected several coaxes til we could ascertain which coax fed the rear TV, and as we are screwing around the front TV gets a picture from the cable!  I don't know if I wiggled something or tightened something, or hooked something up correctly, but anyway it now works!  Nonetheless, it gave us an opportunity to label and clean up the whole installation in our electronic cabinet.
Not very exciting I know Sandy, but it pleased us to figure this out.
We've been watching Irene as it moves up the coast, hoping the damage won't be too bad.  It's down to Category I now so hopefully it will continue to weaken.  Meanwhile I've been hoping to pick up some premium pay flying to bring up my month, but so far nothing.  I did miss one jewel yesterday because I wasn't quite fast enough, so I'm hoping another will pop up in the next few hours.

2 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

I don't know Bill, having the molding fall near Jan sounds a little too exciting. Home, err, RV repairs always have a time and place that it works to get them handled. Glad you found your TV problem.

Bill said...

One baby step at a time.