Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I'm back

I haven't had a chance to post anything the last 5 days because I'm back..............WORKING!  5 full days back in the seat including down to San Juan a couple times, Tampa layovers a couple times, Indianapolis, and finished up flying a military charter this morning or should I say last night, either way I had to get up at 2am and we took off at 0430am.  The good part was I was back and in the car by 0930am.  I had a good visit with Jason on one of my layovers in Tampa.  It was quite a transition to be back flying after having about 7 weeks off.
Jan had quite an experience while I was gone.  A 12 1/2 foot trim piece that covers the front top edge of one of our slides fell down!  Doesn't sound like much, but this trim piece is a wooden decorative molding attached to a 1/2 inch piece of plywood backing, it weighs about 20 pounds!  It fell right where she had been sitting at the dining table just before, missing her computer by inches, bouncing off the dining table.  Amazing nothing broke except for a bit of the bottom of the molding which will be easy to repair.  All we could think about was what if one of the kids had been sleeping in the jackknife couch.  Man!  This molding had become just a little loose on the front end near the driver's seat, we thought the velcro had come loose, in fact we had gotten some help from Kelly and Todd to "fix" it.  Since we never took it completely off, I didn't realize it was held up by several pieces of plastic "j channel" over the metal lip of the slide out edge, and just used the velcro to keep it from moving around.  ALL the "j channel" had broken off, so it was only being held by the velcro.  We are now in the process of fixing it with aluminum "j channel" so that it will never again come down again unless we want it to.  WOW!  Another project that we were not planning:)  Ahhh, life with a motorhome.
We were going to fix it today, but a nap won out!

No comments: