Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Meridian, MS

Sitting here in Meridian.  It's 665 miles from Kelly's to Atlanta, too far to go in one day, only 290 miles tomorrow.  Unfortunately our site there won't be available til Thurs, so we will move down after my physical.  At least we left some of the heat, down in the 80's now, sure beats the 105's!
We had a little issue this morning that I will have to look into.  Normally we start the engine, get on the air, pull in the slides and off we go.  Then later if it gets really hot, we start the generator to run the roof airs.  Well when we left this am, it was already into the 90's, so I started the generator first, then when I went to start the engine, it killed the gen.  Don't know why, so I've got to do some investigating to do to figure out what's going on.  We have a couple questionable items concerning our charging system and batteries that I've got to get to the bottom of and find out if they are all related.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of time in Atlanta.

2 comments:

Chuck and Diane said...

The first year we had our coach (new batteries) I noticed that the gen would start using AGS from the battery monitor but it sounded like the gen labored to start but usually would start. I checked the voltage at the terminals on the generator (directly connected to the chassis startup batteries. I found that before starting the gen the voltage was low (11.8-12.3) but at the actual chassis batteries (43'away) the voltages were 12.7. When starting the gen the voltage measured at the generator would drop to 7,8 or 9vdc and the laboring would begin. I suspected a bad connection so I disconnected the batteries and measured continuity from the generator to the battery cut off switch and there was no significant resistance. I noticed however that the diameter of the cable to the generator was SMALLER that the cable starting the pusher engine. The voltage drop because of this was eliminated completely by installing a battery in the generator compartment and wiring it in parallel at the gen terminals. Has worked fine ever sense. I have photos of the installation if you decide to try this. Hope this helps.

Bill said...

I would love to get photos of your install. I don't think I have quite the same problem though. I occasionally have a labored start on the engine, but I never have had it on the gen. But like I mentioned I don't have enough experience using the AGS to really know how it reacts. What has me a bit stymied is why would starting the engine kill the gen? I plan to look into all of this when I get back next week.