Thursday, August 18, 2011

Reality

It was funny last night.  We found out just how addicted we are to number 1, the DVR, and number 2, the DirecTV.  We tried and tried but couldn't get the satellite, so we tried to hook up the cable.  I know that sounds simple to most of you, but on our motorhome the hookup is simple, but not for the front TV.  The front TV is hooked up to the latest whiz bang HD DVR receiver from DirecTV, and it's only output is HDMI which is what goes to the TV.  The old receiver we took out allowed you to connect either the off air antenna(bat wing) or cable to the receiver then it would feed through to the TV.  As most of you are aware, the new receivers don't allow that.  The problem arises in that it is very tough to access the back of the TV to just directly hook up the coax.  So we tried to watch two shows we wanted to see, near the end of the season you know, on the little TV in the bedroom.  Man o man we had to watch them when they actually came on and with commercials!  Can you imagine the torture we had to go through??
Another project we'll have to work on.  Maybe I can get my son to help and maybe I can wrangle a bigger TV up front at the same time?
We went to the office and begged to switch sites, which they allowed so we are back on satellite and DVR.  All is once again good in the kingdom!
FAA physical complete, the last one I hope?  Work tomorrow, oh joy, at least it's with a friend of mine which will make it a nice way to come back.  See you tomorrow, Kevin.

4 comments:

Chuck and Diane said...

Bill we have similar situations when we are in the trees. I use a portable dish with 100 ft of cable. It allows me to walk around quite a bit and so far we haven't been anywhere where we cannot get a signal. Ours is not HD but I think they make a portable one that is.

Your last physical? Are you going to make this your last year and retire?

Bill said...

I used to use a portable dish all the time, even after we had switched to HD, but the HD dish is much bigger and heavier than the single. HD, another addiction. :) After lugging it around, and hardly using it, I finally decided to get rid of it. When I bought the AM21 device from DirecTV I thought that if I had to, I could use cable through it to the TV, and that is what they told me. Well, come to find out cable will NOT work on the device, but the bat wing is supposed to work, but it didn't. Then I got to thinking,especially since I never use the bat wing, did the switch to digital broadcasting affect the bat wing. Another thing I need to look into.
Yes, my plan right now is to retire at the end of Feb 2012. I hope the market will cooperate.

Sandy Smith said...

I start sobbing when the DVR is off line and I have to watch, eeewww, commercials. Then I start thinking how much of my life I have spent watching commercials...and begin to understand why I can repeat jingles and text so easily from 30 years ago.

Comment section is functioning much better.

Bill said...

Sandy,
We get spoiled very quickly!