Thursday, December 15, 2011

Jan saves the day.....Again!

There is an unwritten law that says if something is going to break or go bad it will definitely happen when I am away so it falls on Jan to deal with it.  With our last motorhome it was the converter/inverter that failed when I was in Las Vegas and it was 15 degrees in Atlanta and caused Jan to be without electrical power or heat in the motorhome.  I am so lucky she is so mechanically adept that she jury rigged it til she and I could talk, then be able to bypass the inverter until I got home to put in a new one.  This time, while I was in Atlanta in my LAST recurrent training class, the hot water hose to the washer gave way!  Sounds simple but it could have caused a disaster had she not been able to tear apart the cabinet to get to the valve and get it stopped before gallons and gallons of water poured all over our motorhome!  We are always careful to turn off the water when we go away for several days and this event sure proves that that is a good policy.  All taken care of now!

On another note, we have a real nice neighbor who is from Connecticut that is here working at a new job after retiring previously from working in a nuclear power plant for many years.  He didn't care for retirement so decided to go back to work.  Turns out he's a ham radio operator.  Funny, cause many years ago when we were still in Pennsylvania I was working to get my license, but couldn't seem to get the hang of the Morse Code requirements.  You had to be able to send and receive code at 13 words per minute!  Well, I just couldn't get it, so let the whole idea kind of go away.  Well, Dave has rekindled my interest, especially when he told me the code requirement is no longer part of the test.  We talked about it for some time, let me know what was was necessary to get a license, and then surprised me with a study manual to get the license.  I'm looking into it, hopefully smart enough to learn the book stuff, and get a license.  It will add a big challenge to me which I really need right now.  So we will see.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

We Davies girls are pretty handy when we have to be!
Our neighbor, George, who is a retired Air Force pilot, is a ham radio enthusiast. If you are wanting someone to talk to over the air I will be happy to facilitate that. He loves it and I can picture you enjoying it. Sounds like a good venture for you and you can do it from wherever you happen to be. Enjoy!

Bill said...

I have to get my license first, and after starting in on the study guide there is a lot of old brain cells that have to be reenergized to recall all that electrical stuff from physics so, so many years ago;) But I'll let you know!