Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Few Ramblings

I just got back from a 4 day trip.  For those of you not in the know, doesn't seem so long, right?  Well, what most of us say is, "A 4 day trip is a week longer than a 3 day trip".  It seems to go on and on.  Flew with a guy who was only 20 FEET from the Reno air race crash!!  He is lucky to be alive, and he knows it.  He saw things that people shouldn't have to see that happened to folks all around him.  I'm glad I've never experienced anything like it.  It must be a lot like war time situations and events.  I won't go into it here, but it suffices to say it was grim, tempered by the fact he was so, so lucky to be alive!
While on my trip, I saw a good friend who was responsible for getting me into the training department as an instructor for whom I have the greatest respect.  Merry Christmas Jerry!
The friend we made here in the campground that I had mentioned before, Dave, the one who decided he didn't like retirement so got a new job here in the Atlanta area.  The same one who has gotten me reinterested in Ham radio.  Well, he and I were talking just before I left on my trip about how much he misses his family and his grandson up in CT, while he's here doing a job he's not all that excited about, dealing with the incredible traffic, with all his toys up north in his paid for nice home, etc.  Well, Jan said he came over the day I left and told her he had done a lot of thinking, especially after talking to me (whoops), and he had quit his job and was heading back home the next morning, felt like he had lifted a burden off his shoulders.  Go Dave!!  Life's too short to waste it on the non important things.
We leave tomorrow to head down to Kelly and Todd's for Christmas.  I have to admit I've always been quite a bah humbug guy about Christmas, and I guess I still am, but grandkids do put another spin on it!
If I don't get back on here before the big day, we wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year!!

No comments: