Thursday, March 22, 2012

An Unplanned Day

A while ago I was discussing the pluses and minuses of living on the road versus a stick and mortar house.  Well, I experienced one of the disadvantages yesterday, but, thankfully it has a happy ending.
While eating dinner Tuesday night, and having very healthful multi-grain bread full of seeds and nuts, I bit down on an exceptionally hard nut and had a crown pop off!  Not a good thing.  So I'm sitting there with my crown in my hand at 7:30 pm in southern Alabama.  I called my great dentist back in Atlanta, and asked him what to do.  He said if it just popped off, try to see a dentist locally and they'd just glue it back on, and it could be addressed later.  Easier said than done.  Thankfully I was having no pain.
I got on the internet and found a site that not only rated dentists in the area, but showed what insurance companies they were affiliated with.  But it's still a pig in a poke.
While sitting there on line I felt something move near my tooth and out popped a big piece of filling, not a good thing.  I kept thinking I needed to get back to Atlanta to see my dentist (I am a big chicken, you know), but it would really mess with our plans, one visit for a temporary and then another visit for the permanent crown, but......
I called Southern Dentistry, Dr Nebrig, in Daphne and got an appointment at 11am.  Quick, huh?  Well, not surprisingly with the big piece of filling that broke out, they couldn't just reglue it.  I needed a new crown.  They have a system called Cerec that can make a new ceramic crown in just one day!  It takes very detailed 3D pictures of the prepared tooth, the surrounding teeth, and the opposing tooth, and with a computer designs a crown unique to you.  A computerized cutting machine cuts and shapes the crown, it is then baked ta attain full hardness, and into your mouth it goes.  Called my dentist, got the go ahead, it turned out they had a cancellation so at 1 pm, I was prepped, and at 4 pm the dentist put on my new permanent crown!  Amazing!  It was a great office with friendly people, and the dentist even called me that evening to see how I was!  Fell into a great experience.
And with gold so high, they said I should sell my old crown.  We'll see.

No comments: