Saturday, February 11, 2012

Quick repair

We have 3 motorized blinds that cover the front windshield that we put down each night.

  Jan caught a very early flight this morning to Florida to get some stuff done and to visit with Jason and my mom.  Of course, last night as she was rushing around putting a bag together, I started to lower the blinds and pop, the far left one pivots around and falls down sideways.  I yelled for Jan, she ran out, I grabbed the blind, had her try to put them back up while I held on to it.  It worked, so today I had a little project to see if I could figure out what went wrong and try to fix it.
My first challenge was trying to hold the blind up while I unclipped it from its mount, then while holding it with one side hanging down try to disconnect the two wires that power it.  I succeeded and didn't even destroy the blind!  Then to figure out how to take it apart.  A lot of these things on the motorhome aren't made to be repaired.  They are all sealed up and impossible to disassemble without ruining them.  Turned out I was able to pull it apart and found out one of the strings had broken inside the blind.
The aluminum tube on the left is the motor that runs the blind up and down.  I was able to pull the motor out to access the spools that wind up the string.  Luckily the string broke very close to the bottom, so I was able to reattach it and shorten the other string to make it even, and voila, fixed!
It was a good project to do inside, especially since it is all of 33 degrees outside.  We are finally getting a couple days of winter.
We both are absolutely chomping at the bit to get moving.  Seems the closer we get to that point the more frustrated we are.  We're trying to keep a good attitude.  I appreciate all of you putting up with my ramblings, as I hope they are not too mundane as we count off the days until we start another chapter of our lives.

No comments: