Sunday, September 8, 2013

It had to happen sometime, I guess?

Getting ready to leave Boothbay Harbor, Jan hits the button to bring in the slides, and.....nothing.  Oh No!  We fiddle around with the switch and in they go, thankfully.  We have a nice drive 60 miles to our next campground just south of Portland, ME in Scarborough, pull into our awesome site, and no slides!  I should say one slide.  Our bedroom driver's side is electric, the other 3 are hydraulic, as well as our generator slide.  We hit the button, can hear a click, but the pump doesn't run.  Now we have had slides for about 13 years and never had a problem before, but I guess it's our turn.
Our superb site!
No slides out.
Well, at least the slides are in and not out.  I think everyone with slides, and that is most every RV these days worries that their slides won't come in one day.  Sure there are procedures to manually push them in, but no one wants to think about that.  I check the obvious things, fuses, relays, are the switches working?  I can't find anything right off.  I get on my go to forum for info, Monacoers, and leave a post.  I call Monaco customer service and they have me troubleshoot a few things, but finally I run out of light and decide to deal with it the next day.  We are lucky in 2 respects, Karen is right next door and graciously has us for dinner, and since we can open the one slide we can get into our drawers and clothes in the bedroom, but we can't access any glasses or cups.  I also call Coach Net, our road service company to see if they have a mobile tech around that is familiar with HWH systems, the manufacturer of our slide system.  No luck with that.


I start to get feedback from the forum that there is a pump/motor solenoid that fails periodically and I should test it.  Well let me explain where this located.  The reservoir, pump/motor, operating solenoids, and motor solenoid all live under the entry steps, accessible through a small cutout in the steps.  All well and good, but the solenoid in question is completely under the unit.  I know I need help with this and we fully expect to have to live with the slides in for awhile while we find and travel to a shop that is familiar with this system.  On a whim I check in with the campground to see if they know anyone in the area.  They tell me sure, they even have a tech on staff.  Amazing, but they are a huge campground with over 700 sites and are full all season long so I guess they would have a call for it.  I'm not too confident that this tech will have any first hand knowledge of the HWH system, but Jan reminds me I'm being negative again :-)  Much to my surprise and relief, Bret shows up, and not only is he knowledgable, but he has been an electrician for more than 30 years, and a master technician, has worked on and is familiar with my system, he is small and can crawl under easily!  So under he goes and in a couple of minutes of troubleshooting we establish the pump solenoid is bad.  We determine that the only way he will be able to get the solenoid off and replaced is if we can somehow slide the generator out.  We find he can remove the hydraulic ram and we pull it out.  He is able to remove it easily.  Good news, but it's Friday, now what?
The culprit

He calls a couple supply houses in the area with no luck, so I call Alliance Coach to see if they might have it, and they do!  The part is cheap, but the overnight Saturday delivery is not, but we bite the bullet and order it.

It shows up on time, Bret comes over, and in a few minutes, ta dah, we have slides!

No comments: