Monday, October 17, 2011

Another notch in the plan

Just got back from what hopefully was my last check ride ever, if the plan to retire at the end of Feb transpires.  What a feeling!  The last FAA medical exam already was completed in Aug, now this.  I still have 2 recurrent training days to complete and that's that.  I've never counted up how many check rides I've had over my career, but it has to have been about 45-50, not counting line checks and FAA observances.  Quite a bit of scrutiny goes into this job!
Haven't had a chance to check out the chassis battery issue yet, but I can report the leveling air compressor issue is resolved.  It has only run a few seconds a couple of times since we had it repaired again, but we had been parked in a very level spot.  Now that we have returned to Atlanta we are in a site that is quite tilted, so the system adjusts our level several times a day.  Now the compressor runs every couple days for about 30 seconds exactly as it should.  Yeah!
We were really disappointed a couple days ago.  We went to get a couple of american flags since we now fly one every day.  Bought two flags at Northern Freight, and when we got back we noticed they are MADE IN CHINA!!!  Unbelievable.  Is there nothing sacred anymore.  We will find some MADE IN AMERICA to fly instead.
The weather here has been fantastic!  Fall has arrived.  Highs in the high 70's and lows in the 50's, no humidity, and clear as a bell.
I think we have made up our mind to sell the bike.  Bittersweet, but it seems to take more and more effort and attention riding it anymore, and it's very hard to sightsee while driving as I'm watching the road, any gravel, pot holes, oil, etc ahead, or is that car going to see me or try to kill us?  A lot of the pleasure has gone, and I hate to admit it, but could it actually be my advancing age causing these feelings??

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Sorry about the bike! It does seem as we get older that our concern for safety often gets in the way of enjoying the things we want to experience. I guess as youth we didn't have that wisdom to see the dangers. Carpet ordered for the RV but alas, CT was talked out of replacing the tile and carpet....too expensive so he was told. I guess I'm stuck with cracked tiles and I'm not happy about it. Oh well, life will go on I am sure.

Bill said...

We enjoyed the bike for 5 years, so.....
Too bad about the tile. Are you getting the other stuff done?
Let's hope life will go on ;-)