Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A couple milestones

We had a nice trip over to Gettysburg.  West Virginia is a pretty state, and as I said before there are no straight or level roads and that includes the interstate, constantly curvy, up 6% grades and then after chugging to the top of the hill, then back down the 6% grade on the other side.  The Jake brake definitely got a workout.  And a little over halfway here we passed one milestone, 100,000 miles on the coach.  It had 9,000 miles on it when we bought it in 2008, so about 13,000 miles a year.
Missed the exact mileage too busy going up and down hill:-)
Second milestone.  Now those of you that know me know how I feel about horses.  Mostly ambivalent, but I know they know that and want to get me.  As a kid we rode quite often as we traveled around, but I enjoyed it less and less and then in college when I got thrown off and almost trampled I decided that was it for horses.  I don't know much about them, don't trust them, and am real uncomfortable around them.  Horseback riding is NOT in my wheelhouse!  Having said that, as we were researching our trip to Gettysburg, one of the most recommended ways to see and learn about the battlefield was on horseback.  Oh boy!  Well, I can now tell you I survived (and enjoyed) our 3 hour battlefield tour.  We went with a great outfit, Hickory Hollow Farm that accommodated my nervousness and weight.  We were accompanied by a licensed Battlefield guide who was an absolute wealth of knowledge about the battle.  We believe we went about 8 miles or so, and started behind the Confederate lines and worked our way across the lines into Union territory right by the spot of Pickett's Charge, which was the "end" of the battle with a terrible loss of lives, and broke Lee's winning streak.  We went as far as Little Round Top.  Gettysburg was the turning point of the war, although it went on for another 2 years.  It was a beautiful day in a beautiful spot made almost overwhelming to realize how many died and were wounded on those hallowed grounds.  And to think it was American against American makes it even worse.
My huge "Sonny"

Oh wow

Following our guide

A happy Jan, although her horse, "Big Moe" was kind
of a pain, young, and a little independent

The two of us in front of the Trostle Farm, right to the right
of Jan's arm you can see a cannonball hole in the brick
We had a great time, yeah, me too.  And I have to admit the horse was okay, and the ride was fantastic.  Maybe more in the future?????

No comments: