Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Got er Done

I delivered Karen's motorhome yesterday.  It was quite a duel with Mother Nature.  As I said we went over to Weatherford, TX last week to stage it to Longview to beat the ice storm.  Good that we did as the Dallas area got 2-3 inches of ice!  Then the weather was a bit iffy so I didn't leave until Monday morning.  It was a nice drive up to Little Rock where I encountered ice and snow on the interstate and wondered if I would have to stop and wait for it to improve?  But I pressed on hoping the change in direction more due east towards Memphis would get me out of it and it did!  So I made it 500+ miles the first day, and beat sunset by 30 minutes:-)  Spent the night in a nice little campground 100 miles southwest of Nashville all ready for my last day into Louisville of only 280 miles.  After dinner I checked the weather and was surprised to find out that now my area and Nashville was expected to get snow and change over to a wintry mix overnight, then clear up mid morning although the temps weren't supposed to get much over freezing.  So I got things cleaned up and decided to put all the slides in for the night in case I actually did get snow so I wouldn't have to crawl up on the roof to get the snow and ice off the slide topper awnings.  Turned out I must have scared Mother Nature because no precip came my way all night.  Fantastic!  So off I went about 30 minutes before sunrise in pretty nice weather, and sure enough in a few minutes it was absolutely clear and sunny, but cold, about 25-30 degrees.  I started hearing some reports of ice on the roads near Nashville and reports of bad accidents and a closed interstate ahead of me.  Sure enough about 25 miles west of Nashville I see stopped traffic ahead, ice starting to cover the roads, and plentiful wrecks all over the place!  I bailed out and got fuel, conversed with Karen who was able to get online to check things out, and got back out on the road.  Well, it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to go 18 miles to my cut around road, Rte 155!  Traffic and road conditions were horrible to say the least.  But, as I headed north from Nashville things got better and better and even though I was almost 2 hours later getting there than planned, I was still able to make the airplane I had hoped for when I started the whole adventure.

So Karen's motorhome is safe and sound at Windenskye waiting on her next adventure, and I, after having to wait on 3 flights out of Atlanta to Shreveport, am back and anticipating Jan and my next trip up to Pender, NE to get the truck baseplate put on.  The weather there has been snowy and get this-------1 degree---the last few days, don't think we'll pack bathing suits!

No comments: