Friday, March 13, 2015

Pretty quiet on the Florida front

Been a quiet week made a bit quieter by Jan flying out to Albuquerque to visit her mom, Viv, and her 2 sisters, Nancy and Karen, and, of course CT.  Meanwhile I decided to do a few little items on the coach, what else, right?  Well, the first chore was an utter failure.

I wanted to put in a AC outlet in the dash on the right side in front of the passenger seat, so we would have a more convenient place to plug in the laptop when going down the road.  As I've said in the past, I am a GPS nut.  I have a Garmin RV 760 set up in front of me, and Jan double-checks and confirms as we move along with a MacBook Pro running Street Atlas by Delorme.  This works well for us, and it definitely keeps us out of trouble MOST of the time.  So anyway we wanted a more convenient plug for the laptop.  So I dug into the cabinet overhead to find a AC source, no luck, then removed the trim work along both sides of the windshield to see if I could find a AC wire in there, no luck, then decided to go behind a panel outboard of the driver's seat to see if I could hook in there, no luck, okay one more, tore apart the electronics cabinet, I could find an AC outlet, but no good way to find enough wire to splice into, so at least for the time being we will live without a new outlet.  2 1/2 hours of frustration, but what else did I have to do?  And then Jan sends a picture of their lunch in Santa Fe, and ooh, I feel even worse:-)
Santa Fe Bite
The greatest green chili cheeseburger in the WORLD!

Then I tackled another little project, and with some help got that one done successfully.  We have a coolant reservoir for the engine where you can add coolant and check to see if the coolant level is correct.  Now this tank is all aluminum, mounted high up in the engine compartment, and has a sight glass so you can see the level of the coolant.  Well I haven't been able to see through it for some time.  Just like a leaking roof that only leaks when it rains, I only notice the obscured sight glass when I check the coolant level every month or so.  I though wrong that the material was plastic and had just gotten opaque with age, turns out the sight is tempered glass.  So I pull it out and try my best to clean it with soap and Q-tips, no luck, run down to NAPA to see if I can just replace it, they don't have one and can't get one, so I ask Jack what he thinks?  He pulls out a Dremel, modifies an attachment and proceeds to polish and grind away on it for several minutes and gets it so we can see through the glass once again!  So that gets reinstalled, coolant level adjusted,  and one more project successfully completed.  

I'll sign off now with just a few more odds and ends. 

We got the redone armrests back and they look good! 
Complete!


The new arm rest the way it should have been done
in the first place

Our tomatoes that we planted in December are ripening nicely!
Coming along

Nice, huh?
We saw this very pretty bird at our neighbor's feeder the other day.
Any one know what it is?


We found perhaps the best fish taco in Florida, maybe the world, at a little tiny joint in Venice, The Lucky Dog.
You get 3 of these beauties, but I couldn't stop eating the
first 2 before I thought to take the picture:-)
Then I'll close this with a few pictures of the jetties in Venice, both north and south. We go over to watch the sunset a lot, but it's also pretty to visit most anytime.
The path out to the north jetty
That's the south jetty in the distance

Looking north at part of Nokomis beach

Have you ever seen pelicans sitting in a tree??

South jetty waiting for sunset



No comments: