Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ahhhhh, the weather!

Being a northerner for most of my life and having lived in New Hampshire for 20 years, all I can say is ha, ha, haaaaa!  We've been enjoying fabulous weather 70-80's in the day and 50-60's at night, ooohh yeah.  Is it just me or are they exaggerating and sensationalizing every storm, snowfall, and weather system more and more?  It was like New England never got snow before, granted it was a big storm, but give me a break, it's winter in the north.

My kayak sold on eBay, quick and easy.  A nice older couple came and picked it up yesterday.  So on to the Kaboat.

I've been telling you about our list of projects, probably to the point of boredom, but it's funny how new ones pop up unexpectedly.  Our window awnings have always looked a bit ratty, loose, dirty and stained.  
It doesn't look as bad in this photo
as it really is

We think while it sat at the dealer in Florida, the awnings were left partly out, and parked under Florida pine trees in the heat and humidity took it's toll.  We've tried to clean them numerous times with no success.  Well, it is kinda breezy here and we looked up under our door awning and found it had split down the middle.  
Whoops!
Need to get that taken care of, well I had heard of a small company that does nothing but awning fabric, and has an excellent reputation.  Stonevos out of Brooksville, FL.  I contacted them and they said they would restitch the seam, but could not make any guarantees as the fabric is almost 6 years old.  Doesn't sound too long, but you have to remember with us full-timing they are out in the sun and weather 24/7.  So we are waiting on an estimate on new fabric. 

It's time to do the maintenance on our generator.  It's a 10KW Onan.  So I get looking at the maintenance schedule and it says at 800 hrs it needs to have it's valves adjusted.  Whoa.  So I call Cummins who does the service on Onan, and they tell me for $1000-$1200, I can get it done!  Wow.  So I do a lot of research and find out most, not all, say the valve adjustment doesn't need to be done unless it's running funny, and it's not.  So I'm going to do my own maintenance on it, oil and filter change, fuel filter, air cleaner, drain and replace the coolant, and replace the belt.  The only big part of all this is the belt and that's just an access issue, that's why I have a son who can help me:-)  And the best part, I can do all this for about $100!

2 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

How many hours on the gen set?

Bill said...

Only 800.